Jeffrey M. Beyer practices in Riker Danzig’s Insurance and Reinsurance Group. He focuses his practice on insurance coverage litigation and counseling, as well as complex commercial litigation and insurance defense matters. He practices in the state and federal courts of both New Jersey and New York. Jeffrey has significant experience in both first-party and third-party insurance coverage disputes involving property and casualty, general liability and various other types of insurance coverages. In all of his representations, he is sensitive to meet his clients’ needs in as thoughtful and efficient a manner as possible, whether the goal is to aggressively litigate the matter, or explore creative ways to resolve it. Jeffrey places an emphasis on providing advice to his clients that is both prompt and responsive.
Jeffrey’s representative matters include:
• Providing advice and serving as defense counsel to a domestic first-party property insurer in numerous coverage lawsuits in New York and New Jersey arising out of wind- and flood-related Superstorm Sandy claims, several of which have been successfully resolved on terms favorable to the client.
• Representing a nationwide seller of hardwood flooring in a putative class action lawsuit alleging violations of the New Jersey Furniture Delivery Regulations, as well as the Truth-in-Consumer Contract, Warranty and Notice Act (“TCCWNA”), in which the defendant successfully procured dismissal of all claims with prejudice from the trial court.
• Defending a major retailer as well as a service warranty provider against a consumer lawsuit alleging Magnuson-Moss Act and New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act and other related claims, in which the defendants successfully compelled arbitration of the claims.
• Representing a state liquidation bureau in an ongoing proceeding for confirmation of the liquidator’s disallowance of a large number of major policyholder claims, which was successfully resolved on terms favorable to the client.
• Serving as insurer-appointed defense counsel on behalf of homeowners in numerous premises liability/personal injury matters in New Jersey state court.
• Successfully representing a New Jersey homeowner in connection with a worker’s compensation claim brought by a house painter, in which the homeowner obtained dismissal of the claim based upon the lack of any employment relationship between the two parties.
• Serving as insurer-appointed counsel to defend the interests of a component-part manufacturer in connection with potential civil litigation arising out of a railroad accident.
• Providing advice and representation to a large commercial general liability insurer in a complex coverage dispute with a policyholder whose HVAC system in a large building project had to be entirely removed and replaced.
Jeffrey received his law degree, cum laude, in 2001 from Cornell University Law School, where he served as a Note Editor of the Cornell International Law Journal. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1998 with an A.B. in History. Jeffrey was formerly associated with Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP in New York (2001-2006) and Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP (2007-2010) in Florham Park, N.J. Prior to joining Riker Danzig, he served as the General Counsel for Beyer Farms, Inc. (2010-2012), where he handled matters for the company touching upon various areas of the law, including labor and employment, general commercial litigation, and insurance issues.
Thomson Reuters has included Jeffrey on its Super Lawyers "Rising Star” list in 2016. See Awards and Honors Methodology.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.